U.S.-Taiwan Business Club 2013 Winter Networking Event
The November New York Business Club networking event was the highlight of the year. Taiwan's former Vice President Mr. Vincent C. Siew ─ a very well respected and influential political and economic leader ─ was the guest of honor. Mr. Siew led a high-level business delegation to New York City to celebrate U.S.-Taiwan friendship and to provide business executives from both countries the opportunity to form and develop mutually beneficial relationships.
Mr. Vincent C. Siew made it clear that Taiwan has always been a loyal U.S. ally. It is critical for the United States to help Taiwan in entering the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) to serve President Obama's "re-balancing to Asia" strategy. Mr. Siew highlighted how the United States and Taiwan firms had worked together and achieved success, and elaborated his hope to deepen the bilateral relationship by further connecting businesses from both sides.
Fifteen prominent Taiwan business leaders' presence at the event demonstrated Taiwan's strong desire to increase economic ties with the United States. The businesses were from a wide variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, petrochemicals, telecommunications, electronics, financial and real estate. Among them, five executives introduced their companies and provided opportunities to collaborate with U.S. companies. The five companies were:
Mr. Steve Chan, Chairman, Adimmune Corporation ─ a pharma industry pioneer in Taiwan
- Ms. Susan Wang, Vice Chairman, Formosa Plastic Group ─ a petrochemicals leader with major investments in the United States
- Mr. Douglas Hsu, Chairman, Far Eastern Group ─ a diversified conglomerate
- Mr. Theodore Huang, Chairman, TECO Electric & Machinery Co., Ltd. ─ a machinery & appliance manufacturer
- Mr. Albert Ting, Chairman, CX Technology Corporation ─ a major player in Vietnam
Fortune 500 companies that has been utilizing Taiwan as their gateway to Asia and making long-term profits from the growth also shared their success stories in Taiwan. They stepped on the stage to root for Taiwan not only for their business success, but also for their love for the country.Two executives that took the stage were:
- Mr. Alan T. Eusden, President of Corning Display Technologies
- Mr. Corning F. Painter, SVP of Merchant Gases of Air Products and Chemicals, Inc. & Chairman of Air Products San Fu Co., Ltd.